Organized by our local librarians to:
* Select 10 books per grade level to make this manageable and realistic - see Lists in left column
* Add 1 new title per grade each year (remove 1 title)
* Align with CCSS Curriculum
* Align with new NYS recommended Lexile levels
* Include non-fiction as well as fiction material (at the correct Lexile targeted range by NYS)
Librarians and teachers are provided bookmarks with the book titles. Contact SLS to get sets of printed bookmarks, or click the "Resources" tab at the left to download your own.
Here's an overview:
If there are more than 10 students per grade, it is up to the school to run "elimination" battles
- Librarians can serve as the contact person, but the BOTB could be run by a teacher, parent or other adult.
- We recommend "scrimmages" along the way at your school to decide who will best represent your district.
- Your library will be the teams' "training camp" or "home base".
- The teams will be:
- Third Grade
- Fourth Grade
- Fifth Grade
- Sixth Grade
- Questions will be recall and recognition.
- A complete set of rules can be found in the column on the left.
- The questions will be based on 10 books: five fiction and five non-fiction. The books have been carefully chosen by this, and previous, committees. We have chosen half non-fiction to support the emphasis of building knowledge and reading texts carefully for comprehension and factual learning.
- There will be trophies and banners awarded to the winning schools for 1st and 2nd Place at each grade level. 3rd and 4th Place will receive banners.
- Trophies and banners will be passed from one year to the next to the winning school.